This is the base to a lot of great things and you can go either sweet as in a fruit pie (apple, cherry, etc), or savory such as a Pot Pie or a Quiche. Yes, you can buy a premade crust and fill it but doing that is like coloring a paint by numbers picture and passing it off as your own. Don’t do this. Take the time to make this a few times and you’ll get the hang of it. The trick is that the water and butter needs to be as cold as possible and you can’t overmix it. So yes, it takes a bit of finesse but it’s not that hard with some practice.
Mise En Place
- Mixing Bowl
- Knife and Board
- Plastic Wrap
- 4 cups AP Flour
- 1 Pound butter cold
- ½ cup of sugar
- 2 ounces of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 1 cup of ICE water
Method of Preparation
- Mix the flour, sugar and salt
- Cut the butter down to half inch squares
- Add to the flour mix
- Mix with your hands to make sure there are no large chunks
- Add the lemon juice and mix
- Add the water a little at a time
- Form a ball, cover with plastic and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes
- The key thing is that the butter has to be cold and that you don’t over mix it.
- This makes enough dough for two shells or a shell and a cover.