To be honest, most of the time when something tastes like shit, it’s not that it really tastes like shit, it’s that the Chef or whomever is cooking doesn’t know what they’re doing. Thus the situation with Brown Rice but I finally figured out how to cook it without it turning to mush. Forget how you would normally cook Rice, for this you need to rinse it and boil the shit out of it for at least 20-30 minutes and then let it steam for another 10. But this is the easiest way to cook it and have it come out in a state that I’m not embarrassed to serve.
Mise En Place
- Big Pot with a tight fitting lid
- A colander
- A wooden spoon
- 1 cup of Brown Rice
- 10-12 cups of water at a rapid boil (do not salt the water)
- Make sure you have have your water boiling since this takes a minute.
- Rinse the rice in the colander for a minute and then add it to the boiling water.
- Stir it for a second and then let it cook at a full boil for 20-30 minutes.
- Turn off the stove and strain the rice in the colander and let it drain.
- Put the rice back in the pot, make sure that the lid is on tight and let it sit for another 10 minutes, off the stove.
- Fluff and serve.
- This sounds like a lot of water but trust me on this