An all time breakfast classic that’s just as easy to make at home from scratch as it is to waste your money on some premix bullshit. It’s more or less a quick bread batter (using baking soda and powder along with salt to make it rise instead of yeast) that you spread out on a hot pan and sear the outside.
Mise En Place
- 2 Medium bowls
- 1 large griddle or pan
- A Whisk
- A large flat spatula
- A Ladle
- Pan spray
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 cup Milk ( whole, 2%, but skim milk tastes like shit and you might as well use water)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar (white or brown, depending on what else you’re adding)
- 1 TEASPOON Baking POWDER
- 1/2 TEASPOON Baking SODA
- 1/2 TEASPOON Salt
Method of Preparation
This is assuming you have everything out and ready to go, that your hands are washed and your head is right.
- Get the Griddle warmed up to Med to Med Hi ( 300-350 F)
- In the bigger of the two bowls, mix the dry ingredients ( Flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt) with the whisk
- In another bowl mix your Wet ingredients ( Milk, eggs, butter) till blended
- Add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients and whisk well.
- Spray your griddle and ladle and get ready to cook
- Size is up to you but make sure the batter is EVEN.
- Let cook for about 3 minutes on each side and do not push down on em.
- Flip and let cook till golden brown on both sides
- The great thing about this is that you can change the flavor to suit your taste and what you have on hand. Fresh berries? Add them! Chocolate chips are fair game as well as liquors such as Grand Marnier (Orange flavor) or Frangelico (Almond). Play and have fun.
- On that note, if you’re going to cover them with something, either take the time to find REAL Maple syrup and not the fake stuff. It’s expensive but the difference is night and day just like real vs imitation Vanilla.