Cheese cake is one of those desserts that is in a class by itself and yet it’s also a very basic and simple concept and it leaves a lot of room for you to play around with. This is your standard “New York” style with a graham cracker crust. I’ve done a lot of variations and one of the most memorable being a Green Tea Cheese Cake using Matcha Green Tea Powder and a fortune cookie crust. You can also top it with just about anything from fruit to chocolate and play with paring (Raspberry Cheesecake with Chocolate drizzled over it).
Overall it’s a simple recipe with a few things to keep in mind is that you do need a Springform pan which you can pick up for $20 at most places that sell Kitchen equipment . This is a handy little device that allows you get the tall sides with ease. Even if it says it’s non stick, you still want to coat the inside. The other issue is that Dairy doesn’t like heat very much and there is a small window of perfection between undercooked and burnt.
Mise En Place
- 3 lbs Cream Cheese
- 1 cup of Sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- Lemon Juice
- Preheat the oven to 300
- Make your crust
- Whisk the Cream cheese and sugar until smooth
- Add about a tablespoon of Vanilla or whatever flavor base you are using
- Fold the eggs in to the mix with the Rubber Spatula but do not over mix
- Pour into the pie crust and bake for around 30 minutes
- Some people swear by what’s called a “Water Bath” method similar to how you cook Creme Brulee (page ??). This keeps the mix from getting too hot since water boils at 212 and also creates a more humid environment so that the mix doesn’t dry out.
- To do this, wrap the springform pan with Foil until watertight and then place into a larger pan.
- Fill the outer pan with water ¾ of the way.
- Be careful when doing this since a lot of things can go wrong such as the foil leaking and letting water into the mix or you burning the shit out of yourself when you try to pull it out of the oven.
- I do not recommend this method at home since it’s a pain in the ass if you don’t have the right setup