I wasn’t really excited when I was asked to make meatballs but I’m always up for a chance to play. So I got really stoned and this is the result, a core of Bacon wrapped in spicy sausage wrapped in another layer of sweet Italian sausage then coated with breadcrumbs. When you cut them in half they have a very cool layered look. Keep in mind these are meatballs, this is not an exact science.
Mise En Place
- A large pan
- A large bowl
- A half sheet tray
- Knife and board
- A strainer
- 1 lb of bacon
- 1 lb of spicy sausage (ground)
- 1 lb of sweet Italian sausage (ground) * 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- Chop and cook the Bacon
- Strain and save the fat
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Paddy out some of the spicy sausage and place a wad of the bacon inside
- Repeat with the sweet Italian sausage
- Roll in breadcrumbs
- Bake until the internal temperature is 160 (see notes)
- Serve with Red sauce
- Play with different meats and fillers. I’m going to make a Greek version and stuff lamb with Feta and olives.
- Buy a digital thermometer for this. You’re combining 3 types of meat, you really want to make sure it’s cooked throughout.