Easy to make and a vastly different approach to using red onions. Simply cut them, add them to the vinegar and sugar mix and let sit for a day or two. They go great on everything from BBQ to Charcuterie plates and is a nice variation on your standard cucumber pickles.
Mise En Place
- Knife and Board
- Small pot
- Wooden spoon
- Red onions, thin sliced
- 2 cup of vinegar
- 1 cup of sugar
Method of Preparation
- Slice the onions
- Mix the vinegar and sugar and bring to a boil
- Drop to a simmer and add the onions
- Let simmer for 10 minutes and remove from heat
- Store these in the liquid once they cool, you can use them immediately but they work better after a day
- I use Mirin which is Rice vinegar but some people use normal white. I don’t recommend using cider or sherry vinegar since the color won’t turn out as bright and they tend to have a stronger flavor.