I think I saw a photo of these and since I’ve been playing with a smoker and had eggs, I said “Why the hell not?” and made a batch that turned out so well that I put them on my menu. Since eggs don’t have a ton of flavor it doesn’t take much time in the smoker for them.
There are a few ways to do this but what I’ve found to be the easiest is as follows. I boil them for about 6-7 minutes which is a little over a “soft boil” and then cool them, roll them to slightly crack them(this is how they “marble”) and then put em in the smoker for 15-20 minutes depending on how thick the smoke is.
Mise En Place
- A pot of boiling water
- A smoker
Method of Preparation
- Boil the water and place the eggs in it for 6-7 minutes
- Remove from the heat and run under cold water until you can hold them
- Lightly roll them just to give a few cracks in the shell
- Place in the smoker for 15-20 minutes or more
- Cool, peel and serve.
- Take your Deviled egg game to the next level or put this in the potato salad.
- Wood? That’s up to you, I’ve been using the Mesquite I have on hand but I can see this working great with other types such as apple or cherry, try it out and let me know what happens.
- The eggshells are porous so even if you don’t roll em, they will get the flavor but you lose the cool marbling effect.
- When you smoke these you want to try to get a cool thick smoke since you don’t really want to cook them anymore but you want the flavor.