Sometimes people just show up in your life at the right time for the strangest reasons. I had known of Stacy by reputation for years back home and at the time the woman was a living legend. She was a big part of the reason there was a punk scene in Richmond, she had been part of it all along and she was by far one of the most Punk motherfuckers I have ever known. She was as hardcore as you can get and even in her 50’s she was a force not to be fucked with. During the time I knew here I learned a lot and I was lucky enough to cook for her and her husband. This is a dessert that I made for them that I now dedicate in her memory. On that note, if you don’t have Makers Mark don’t make this recipe, there is not an acceptable substitution.
Mise En Place
- Knife and Board
- Standard 9x13x2 baking dish (greased)
- Mixing bowl
- Large Saute pan
- Wooden spoon
- Aluminum Foil
- 3 Large Red apples, cored and chopped small
- 1 large Baguette cut into 1 inch chunks
- 9 eggs whisked well
- 10 ounces (1 ½ cups) milk
- 1 ½ cup of Brown Sugar
- 3 ounces of Makers Mark Bourbon
- 4 Ounces of Butter
Method of Preparation
- Chop the apples
- Melt the butter in the pan
- Add the apples and cook on Medium
- Add about half a cup of the brown sugar and continue to cook
- Once they start to turn, add the Makers Mark
- BE CAREFUL!!!! If you are working with a gas stove it will flame up, just chill the fuck out and let it go out on its own after a few seconds.
- Preheat oven to 325
- Let the mix cook down for a second then remove from the heat and let cool.
- Mix the eggs and milk till completely blended,
- Add the sugar and mix well
- Add the bread chunks and mix well, you want the bread to soak up the mix as much as possible.
- When the apple mix has cooled, add it to the mix of bread and eggs
- Pour into a greased cake pan
- Cover with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean.
- If you try to make this using anything other than Makers Mark and your oven explodes that is most likely her ghost saying “Fuck You!!!”. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
- Make sure the apple are cooled before you add them to the mix so that they don’t cook the eggs before you bake the dish.
- Use the foil to make sure that the top of the mix doesn’t burn in the oven.
- Never take good friends for granted