When you cook garlic it loses some of the punch and develops a richer, almost sweeter flavor. When you roast the Garlic in oil, the oil will pick up the flavor. You then have both roasted garlic that can be used in everything from Red sauce to spread on baguettes
Mise En Place
- 1 Medium sauce pot
- Separate containers for the garlic and oil
- 1 large bulb of Garlic, peeled
- 2 cups of oil. You would assume that you would use olive oil but why? Olive oil isn’t cheap and has its own distinct flavor. Its cool you want to pair the two but for general purposes you can use a simple vegetable oil since it will pick up more flavor.
Method of Preparation
- Heat the oil on medium but don’t let it smoke
- Add the peeled garlic
- Let it cook for about 20 minutes stirring every few minutes.
- You know it’s done when the garlic is golden brown, not burnt, and gives to slight pressure.
- Remove from the heat and let cool. Strain and store.
- You can use the oil to do most types of saute or you can repeat the process with hot peppers and have hot chili garlic oil