It’s egg yolks and melted butter one of the most simple combinations you can come up with along with a bit of citrus to blind it and a little bit of cayenne pepper for some kick.
The reason most people hate to make this in a restaurant is that it breaks every time at the worst possible time. At home you have at least a little bit more flexibility on the timing and you’re also not serving 40 to 50 orders of it in a shift.
- Small pot
- A whisk
- The mixing bowl
- Three egg yolks
- 6 oz of melted butter
- Tablespoon of lemon juice
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- A dash of salt and pepper
Method of Preparation
- Melt the butter and set aside
- Separate three egg yolks and discard the whites.
- Set up a double boiler and vigorously whisk the egg yolks until doubled in volume.
- Slowly add melted butter.
- Add your lemon juice Cayenne and salt and pepper.
- Some people say to clarify the butter others don’t but I’ve never personally noticed a difference.