Growing up in the south, this was more or less as unavoidable as racist jokes but these won’t offend your guests and are way better than anything that comes out of a can. You can serve them with a dab of butter or you can go all out and cover them with Bacon Gravy (page ?)
Mise En Place
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Sheet tray or baking dish
- Rubber Spatula
- Flour dusted counter space to roll out the dough
- 2 cups of AP flour plus a bit extra
- 1 cup of Buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons of chilled and cubed butter
- 1/2 tablespoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
Method of Preparation
- Preheat the oven to 350 grease up the sheet tray
- Mix the dry ingredients
- Add the butter and mix it with your hands until it becomes crumbly but don’t overmix it since you don’t want the butter to melt.
- Make a well in the center and mix. It will be sticky.
- Place onto the floured countertop and roll it out into a one inch thick mass.
- Cut out your biscuits and bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown
- This recipe begs to be played with so please add things to the mix. Cheese, herbs, get creative
- After you make your first run, you will have a bit of dough left over, the biscuits will be good but not as light as the first run. This is why you want to be careful not to overmix this stuff.