I will be the first to tell you that I’m not a fan of mayo but this stuff is pretty damn good and not as heavy as your traditional pasta salad. The reason I’m posting this is that it’s key to making the Loco Moco which is still one of my favorite meals on earth.
The key with this is the onions and peppers as well as using rice wine vinegar, this gives the Mac Salad a bit of zing that helps it to really stand out. This also makes a great side dish to take to a potluck or dinner since you can make it a day ahead of time and the flavor gets better
- Large pot of boiling water
- Knife and board
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- 1 pound of dried Macaroni
- Half cup of Mayo
- Half cup of Rice Wine Vinegar
- Half a red onion small diced
- 5 or 6 sweet peppers, deseeded and minced
- Green onions or chives
Method of Preparation
- Cook the pasta
- Let it strain and cool
- Cut the onions and peppers and then with the Mayo and Rice Wine and a dash of Furikake
- Once the pasta is cooled down, mix it with the rest of the ingredients, taste and adjust
- You can buy Furikake but you can make it yourself just as easily
- Some people add hot peppers to this to give it a bit of a kick.
- No, I am not Hawaiian yet I did spend a few months there and have nothing but love and respect for the culture.